When the unthinkable happens and a family is uprooted for their child’s medical treatment, there
are many barriers they must overcome to stay together. Ronald McDonald House
BC and Yukon provides accommodation, comfort, compassion and a sense of community – keeping families close when it matters most.
Last week my girls and I took a tour of RMH BC, where we saw first-hand the amazing warmth and compassion the house provides to families from across B.C and Yukon.
RMH BC is a home away from home for families who are uprooted for their child’s serious medical treatments. We learned that RMH BC supports 2,000 families each year and the longest stay by a family was 497 nights!
In addition, we learned that families save around $3,000-$6,000 per month when they stay at the House. In fact, the average cost to host a family per night is $125, however, families contribute only $12 per night ( only if they can).
In all honesty, I’m guilty of assuming RMH BC is primarily funded by McDonald’s and although they are an important partner, it’s actually the many other generous donors in the community and the 300+ volunteers who help make it all possible.
The House is truly incredible. After we left, Charley said she would like to donate her birthday money to RMH BC.
Some other great takeaways from our tour of Ronald McDonald House BC & Yukon:
– RMH BC recently celebrated 35 years of service to BC and Yukon families including five years in their current House on the campus of the BC Children’s Hospital
– RMH BC accommodates 73 families each night and serves approximately 2,000 families
– RMH BC is 575 steps from BC Children’s Hospital, which keeps families close to treatment
and their seriously ill child
– The House also provides programs and support for kids and parents that are facing the
illness of a child.
– Over 300 regular volunteers help run the House and its programs including yoga, gardening,
massage, movie nights, LEGO, robotics and more
– Some of RMH BC programs, like Family Meals and Art & Music therapy, help
families cope with the financial and emotional challenges they face.
Check out the Circles of Support video. It is a great way to understand some of the people who help the RMH BC organization thrive.
Check out some of these real family stories to get to know who you’re helping when you support RMH BC.
Giving back always feels good on the inside. For more information on ways you can give back to Ronald McDonald House BC & Yukon, whether
by donating, volunteering or fundraising, visit: www.rmhbc.ca
Thank you to RMH BC for the tour, and for partnering with Styling The Inside on this post.