*This is an event listing in partnership with the City Of Port Coquitlam
Dating back to 1923, May Days is Port Coquitlam’s annual spring festival and one of its signature events.
Port Coquitlam first celebrated May Day as a community in 1923, with May Pole dancing and the crowning of a May Queen. While the festival has evolved and grown over the years, it has maintained many of its original traditions, including May Pole dancing and the crowning of local children as May Day “royalty” – a May Queen and Ambassador along with a Royal Party.
Thousands of people from throughout Metro Vancouver head to downtown Port Coquitlam each year for the annual Rotary May Day Parade – one of the biggest in the region.
This year’s parade is May 12, with a pre-show at 10:30 a.m. by the Vancouver Police Department motorcycle drill squad and the official parade start at 11 a.m.
Early birds can also enjoy a pre-parade pancake breakfast from 8 to 11 a.m. in the Outlet at Leigh Square, with the $4 cost supporting the 4th PoCo Scouts.
Party in the Square (formerly the Community Block Party) will follow the parade on May 12 from about noon to 5 p.m. and include:
· Live entertainment in the Leigh Square bandshell headlined by indie rockers The Matinée,
· Children’s crafts and activities in the free Kids Zone,
· The Artisan Market, PoCo Biz Alley tradeshow and community displays,
· Historical trolley tours leaving every half hour from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m.,
· An emergency preparedness fair, and
· Food trucks and a beverage garden.
After the events downtown on May 12, the festivities wrap up May 13 with the Mother’s Day Picnic at Lion’s Park. The Kinsmen Club will host a $4 pancake breakfast from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. and lunch from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. May Pole dancing and free family activities will take place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
PARKING AND ROAD CLOSURES ON MAY 12
- 7am – 7pm – Donald Street and the laneway behind Dairy Queen will be closed
- 7am – 1pm – Shaughnessy (Pitt River to Atkins) Rindall, Central, Hawthorne, Welcher and Tyner Avenues will be closed for parade assembly and dispersal from 9am to 1pm with no on-street parking from 7am – 1pm.
- 10am to 1:30pm Shaughnessy St from Wilson Ave to the Shaughnessy St Underpass, Elgin Ave. & Mary Hill Rd, & Hawthorne to Tyner will be closed during the parade
Full event details, including road closures and parking visit www.portcoquitlam.ca/maydays.