At the end of October, I decided to take on a 30-day health challenge with Renew Life and I hate to admit but I failed.
Renew life sent me a wonderful kit full of some things to help me get started. The kit included a Bella Beat Fitness Tracker, a healthy recipe cookbook, and a bottle of Renew Life probiotics.
My goal was to try to exercise for 30 minutes every day for 30 days and eat healthy while taking the Renew Life probiotics.
The reason I believe I failed. Ok, the reason I know I failed is that my thyroid levels were low, which meant I was feeling sluggish, unmotivated, depressed feelings, and even anxiety. You can read about some of the negative emotions I was going through here.
It was super hard for me to get started even though I know movement, and eating better almost always help me.
I saw the doctor after getting some blood work done which showed that my thyroid levels were off and she took immediate steps to adjust the thyroid hormone replacement I’m on so I could get back to feeling better.
After a few weeks of being on this new dose, I began to feel more motivated and less sluggish.
Having a chronic illness like Hashimoto’s is really tricky. I never know when I may flare up. I do know, however, that when I’m feeling good, I tend to overdo it and then my stress levels rise and… boom! My levels get thrown off.
I was recommended by my naturopath to take a daily probiotic because autoimmune diseases like mine begin in the gut.
The one thing I can tell you I didn’t fail when it came to this 30-day challenge was taking the daily Renew Life probiotic.
That part was easy!
Probiotics are friendly, beneficial bacteria that live in the
gut and are a very important part of a healthy digestive
system. Probiotics support the immune system, balance
the intestinal environment, and inhibit the growth of
pathogenic organisms. Further, these beneficial bacteria
help the body to produce vitamins; digest foods; and
control the overgrowth of bad bacteria and fungi.
The hard part was putting myself first every single day with a workout. I did a few runs, and I live near a moderate uphill hike which I did a few times when I felt motivated but it wasn’t every day. The rainy weather and dark gloomy days didn’t help either.
Maybe challenging myself to exercise for 30 days straight was the problem?
Instead of challenging myself to simply move every day, track my steps with the Bella Beat, and try a few healthy recipes from the book, I put the “all or nothing” pressure on myself which was really unrealistic considering my thyroid levels being off.
I learned about the banishing the “all or nothing” mentality a few months ago at a wellness retreat. You can read more about that retreat here.
Needless to say, the challenge did motivate me to move (here and there) and I did take the daily Renew Life probiotic which is extremely beneficial to my gut health.
I’m happy to say that last 10 days I’ve exercised for 30 minutes. I can feel my body has more energy, (which could be the result of my thyroid levels getting back in range), and this daily exercise has been so transcendent. I feel happier, less anxious, less brain fog, and more energy.
All in all, I failed the 30-day challenge, however, beating myself up because I failed contributes to me being hard on myself, which in turn, causes stress and anxiousness.
I was simply listening to my body and last month my body was telling me I needed to rest.
And maybe that’s not a failure at all.
Maybe success is putting one foot in front of the other and simply starting because any step we take toward living a healthier existence is a step closer to the healthier person we want to be.
Below are some health tips from Dr. Sara Celik if you want to take on a 30-day health challenge.
May I add to banish the all or nothing mentality and don’t worry about doing these things every single day. Every effort counts!
TIPS FROM DR. SARA CELIK on getting started with a 30 day health challenge
Dr. Sara Celik is a board-certified Naturopathic Doctor and professional speaker, carrying over 15 years of experience in the health and wellness industry. Here are some of her tips to get you started:
- Every morning, prepare ginger tea with freshly grated ginger and hot water. Ginger tea aids digestion and increases nutrient absorption.
Take 10 deep belly breaths before starting your day. This will help your body relax and can make you feel more grounded.
- Add fiber to every breakfast (e.g. chia seeds, flax seeds, oatmeal, or fruit), or opt for a daily fiber supplement.
- Renew Life’s Organic Clear Fibre tastes like water and acts as a prebiotic. Prebiotics are food for probiotic bacteria and can help improve digestive health.
- Consider a daily probiotic supplement (with 50 billion active bacterial cultures) to support healthier digestion and re-balance your gut flora. Probiotics may produce B vitamins, such as vitamin B12, which can help boost energy levels. Recent evidence suggests the change in gut flora while taking a probiotic can happen in just 3-4 days.
- Get in 30 minutes of fitness and use your Bellabeat fitness tracker to monitor steps taken, calories burned, and distance covered.
- Take a power walk as soon as you are finished lunch or dinner. Movement after a meal may help with digestion and can lead to better weight loss results. One study showed that walking at a brisk speed for 30 minutes immediately after lunch and dinner leads to more weight loss than does walking for 30 minutes beginning one hour after a meal.
- Pick one day a week (e.g. Sunday) for meal prepping. If you are leading a busy lifestyle, it’s a good idea to plan your healthy meals in advance. The cookbook that you receive is filled with delicious, tasty recipes that are good for your gut.
- Track your stress levels throughout the day with the LEAF app. The app will monitor your breathing rate and provide breathing exercises to help you de-stress.
- Rub 2 drops of lavender oil on your temples to help calm your mind and relax before bed.
- Smile each day, express gratitude, and celebrate your healthy journey!
ABOUT RENEW LIFE
“Founded in 1997, Renew Life is North America’s #1 digestive care and cleansing company. Renew Life provides safe and effective natural solutions to digestive care issues through innovative product lines, and continued commitment to education. Renew Life products are made with the highest quality of ingredients to ensure active ingredients are protected to optimize potency and absorption. Renew Life uses natural supplements with no artificial ingredients, colours, preservatives or other unnecessary materials. A leader in cleansing, probiotics, fish oils, fibres, and enzymes, Renew Life offers a full line of Health Canada approved natural health supplements for the entire family.”
*This post was written in partnership with Renew Life