On September 23rd I had the absolute pleasure of attending the Be You Girl event hosted at Coquitlam Centre with my 11-year-old daughter and her best friend. The event is aimed at helping girls celebrate their diversity, and grow up with endless amounts of confidence and self-esteem.
About Be You
Be You is a national cause-marketing campaign launched in 2016 and created in partnership with Big Sisters of Canada, to increase self-esteem and empower girls aged 9 to 16 across Canada.
Developed by Morguard and presented at its portfolio of 21 shopping centers (including Coquitlam Centre), Be You gives young girls access to personal and professional development tools while celebrating their growth, diversity, and self-worth.
• Over 50% of all girls say they wish they were someone else
• Almost half a million girls have posted YouTube videos of themselves asking “Am I pretty or am I ugly?”
• 9 out of 10 girls say they feel the pressure from the media to be thin
• 50% of girls in grade 6 are on a diet and 46% of 9-11 years olds said they have dieted
• 36% of grade 6 girls say they are self-confident – that number drops to 14% by grade 10
• More than 20% of BC girls say they have deliberately cut or harmed themselves
• In one year, the number of girls aged 18 and younger who had breast implants has tripled
• 60% of girls say celebrities are their primary role models, only 36% said their parents and almost no one said they look up to
professionals such as scientists or writers
• Negative body images make girls less likely to be physically active, only 11% of girls age 16 are physically active enough to
benefit their health
• Girls’ self-esteem peaks at age 9
• Girls are 3 times more likely than boys to have a negative body image
• Young girls are more afraid of becoming fat than they are of nuclear war, cancer or losing their parents
• More than 90% of 15-17 year old girls want to change at least one aspect of their physical appearance
I struggled so deeply with insecurities when I was a pre-teen. I really wish I could have attended an event like this when I was a girl. I’m so thankful for movements like Be You which aim to empower girls to help them increase their confidence and self-esteem.
I loved watching this dynamic group of girls come together to celebrate their uniqueness while being encouraged to continue being themselves in a supportive, safe, and fun environment! The event was held after hours. Therefore, the girls had the mall to themselves! How special is that?
I loved how intimate the event felt. Although there were over 100 girls it still felt private, and very, very inclusive. In fact, at the beginning of the evening, the girls were split into groups and played some icebreaker games with Big Sisters volunteers. This helped the girls feel comfortable and excited for the rest of the evening!
The Be you event kicked off with Host Tara Teng (former Miss Canada), followed by movement activities with Ashley Wiles (founder of Sole Girls). After the fun movement session, the girls were split back into their groups and moved from station to station.
The event was the highlight of my daughters month. She went home with a swag bag full of self-care products and inspirational stickers and a water bottle reminding her to always be herself!
It was such an inspirational evening full of movement, learning, connection, positivity & laughter!
Our goal at Coquitlam Centre is to provide girls with tools and techniques to help them better navigate through some of the challenges that they may face (body image, “mean girls”, social media…). -Coquitlam Centre
Be You Stations
The amazing BE YOU Activity Station Leaders who generously volunteered their time and expertise and delivered passionate, informative and of course FUN activities for all of our BE YOU participants. Each and every one of these wonderful women truly went above and beyond!-Coquitlam Centre
BE AWARE | Journal Writing Workshop
Presented By Passion To Lead
BE FIT | Exercise Activity
Presented by Sole Girls
BE POSITIVE | Social Media Presentation
Presented by Jive PR & Digital
And the wonderful, inspirational host of the evening Tara Teng. She lit up the girl’s faces with her energy and positive attitude telling each and every one of the girls at the end of the evening to continue to always, BE YOU!
Check out this inspirational Be You theme song!