I’m just going to begin this post by telling you; I’m terrible at feeding myself! I can’t seem to consistently eat three meals, and two snacks a day. To begin, I’m not a big breakfast person, (unless a black coffee counts as breakfast). And, I just plain suck at remembering to get my butt of the computer to eat something, especially when I’m caught up in writing, cleaning, or just being a mom! This however, is terrible for my already low metabolism (from my thyroid disease!) Oftentimes forgetting to eat through out the day, results in me eating later in the day. I end up snacking on not-s0-healthy food or whatever is in my face, and it’s usually late at night.
In the past I was great at prepping my meals, and making sure I always had healthy snacks on hand. I ate three meals, and two snacks a day. I drank plenty of water and felt the best I’ve ever felt. And then… I don’t know. I guess I became busier. My discipline kind of went out the window, and I got stuck in an unhealthy eating rut. I mean, I wasn’t eating fast food all day. I just wasn’t nurturing my body with whole, nutritious foods.
I knew I needed to make some changes.
For this reason, I started exercising regularly, drinking water with lemon, and making healthy green smoothies again. I was feeling great! I would make salmon, brown rice and steamed veggies, and then some nights I would have chicken breast, and veggies. Nevertheless, I was on the path to feeling great again, and then sadly, despite all these efforts, I ended up binging on not-so-healthy foods by the end of the week, which would result in feelings of guilt, and defeat. I felt like a failure.
Why was I making sure my kids were fed properly through out the day, but neglecting myself?
I came to the realization that the food I was making was making it very hard for me to love eating healthy. It was hard for me to continue eating the same old, bland foods for dinner day in and day out. In other words, I would get sick and tired of the food I was making (when I made the time to actually feed myself) and eat the first carbs in sight, like a bagel or croissant! In fact, heading out to my evening events, drinking wine, and eating yummy appetizers wasn`t helping either!
After talking with my friend Salma blogger at The Write Balance, who was having similar feelings surrounding staying on track with eating healthy, we decided try Eat Your Cake Healthy Meal Delivery service.
For three weeks the two of us were provided with three fresh, organic daily meals and snacks delivered to us twice a week. My meal plan was tailored specifically to my health, allergy and food preferences after seeing one of their registered nutritionists. The nutritionist went over our health goals and preferences with us before our meal delivery began.
Below I’ve listed 10 things I love about Eat Your Cake meal delivery:
- The convenience -I can not tell you enough how amazing it was to just open my fridge, and see containers of fresh, organic healthy food ready to eat!
- The variety of recipes-The variety of food was immense! I had salmon, stew, beef pho, veggie kimchi salad, frittatas, stir fry, and more!
- The freshness -everything was super fresh! In all honesty, I was reluctant to eat food that’s been sitting, but, it was all very fresh!
- The family meals-Once a week we were provided with family meals so my family could have a taste of the type of food I was eating. It was very nice to sit with the family eating the same dinner with them from Eat Your Cake, as opposed to me always having a separate dinner.
- The desserts -I was so stunned when I read the ingredients of some of the desserts! I had NO idea you could have yummy desserts made from black beans!
- The containers- I will definitely be re-using the containers Eat your Cake provided the meals in. I also found they were easy to pack to go!
- The labels with the ingredients– I love how the labels on the food had the ingredients from each meal. I saved some and will definitely be replicating some of them.
- The menu to follow-It was very nice to receive a weekly menu with my meals to follow, along with some after dinner healthy snacking ideas.
- It’s delivered to your door– This was the best part! Meals that came directly to my door!
- Did I mention the convenience?!?!?! – Yes, I will mention this one last time, it was SO convenient!!!!
After a week of healthy eating with Eat Your Cake, I could feel a difference in the way I felt. I had more energy, and it helped me avoid other foods I would normally eat. It was a great way to kick-start eating healthy again! If I was busy with the kids, working etc., I knew I wouldn’t neglect feeding myself like I normally do, because the food was already prepared for me.
Below is a list of some of the meals from my diverse plan:
Paleo breakfast burger, Tropical fruit and nut curry, Cashew orange chicken, coconut fish curry, moroccan cucumber bulgar salad, pho beef noodle soup, Hunter stew, salmon with black bean & corn salsa, chicken cordon bleu, apple fritters, peanut butter enery balls, black bean spaghetti, thai spring rolls, chicken salad & more!
I did however, find it challenging some days to stick to my plan. I think because it’s summer and we’ve been out and about a lot. Some days, I would forget to bring my meals and the temptation to eat other food(and sometimes not- so -healthy stuff )was strong. In all honesty, I was disciplined with sticking to the meal plan some days, and other days; not so much. But hey, I’m only human!
Eat your Cake has taught me how important having meals already prepped is! I will be re-using their containers and try to do a weekly prep for the family so I can continue to eat consistently healthy with the odd cheat day here and there 😉
If you’ve thought of trying out a meal delivery service, Eat Your Cake will tailor your meal plans specifically to you and they offer a very diverse menu!
All in all, this experience has taught me to put myself first!
Do you struggle with healthy eating or eating consistently? If so, perhaps a meal delivery service can help you with your eating & health goals.
Thank you to Eat Your Cake for providing me with healthy, organic, fresh meals! ❤
About Eat Your Cake
Eat Your Cake meal plans are the most affordable, convenient way of getting real, healthy food delivered to your home or office on a regular basis all without having to spend time and money cooking or shopping. Plus you get the added advantage of having your own gourmet, organic chef and nutritionist work with you, with customizable packages to fit any budget. Think of it! You get to eat better, lose weight, get fitter, and enjoy delicious meals while saving time, effort and gas!
Paleo, Raw Vegan, Vegetarian, and regular ol’ Meat-and-Potatoes options are available!